Sydney Airport in a report to the Australian Stock Exchange reports it has recorded its best June on record for international and domestic passenger numbers
International passenger numbers increased 10.4 per cent while domestic passenger numbers grew by 4.0 per cent in the year to June, Sydney Airport said in a statement on 20 July 2012.
The number of Singaporeans arriving in Sydney increased by 62 per cent and the number of Australians travelling to Singapore increased by 29 per cent in the month, Sydney Airport said.
The airport also recorded a 69 per cent increase in Malaysian passenger traffic to Sydney and a 31 per cent increase in Australians travelling to Malaysia.
Chief executive Kerrie Mather said the launch of low-cost services to Asia, such as Scoot's daily service to Singapore, had proven popular.
The next most popular international growth markets were Japan, India, Indonesia, New Zealand, China, Canada, and the US while France was the major market to record a decline.
The airport in its report also noted
- China Southern resumed double daily frequencies to Guangzhou, adding three weekly A330 frequencies from 25 June 2012.
- Air Vanuatu added one weekly B737-800 frequency to Port Vila, flying daily from 26 June 2012.
- Tiger Airways opened its new Sydney base on 1 July 2012 with the commencementof a daily A320 service to the Gold Coast. Additional daily A320 frequencies to the Gold Coast and a double daily A320 service to Brisbane will commence on 1 August 2012. Frequencies on both routes will increase to four times daily from1 September 2012.
- Hainan Airlines will return to Sydney with three weekly A330 frequencies to Shenzhen from 29 October 2012.
- Malaysia Airlines, which operates a double daily service to Kuala Lumpur, has confirmed it will introduce a 494-seat A380 on one of its daily frequencies from 26 November 2012.
http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/investors/news-and-events/asx-releases/details.aspx?item=%7b13BEDAF0-DF75-4373-ACCF-4FC122CC90B2%7d&lst=%7b1A008585-CBC7-46FA-A72E-A96ABF728813%7d for copy of ASX report.